Monday, October 5, 2009

A poem from February, 2009

Reminders for the Universe

When I grow old, do not let me forget my love for rap music.
Do not let me forget the thrill of spontaneity, of discovery, of self expression, of my youth.
Do not let me forget the rush of adrenaline with which I was captivated and consumed upon first breaking the rules.
Do not let me forget the serenity I experienced when I learned I could mend them.
Do not let me forget the hilarity of nonsensical banter, the unity of friendship, the clarity achieved in time spent alone.
Do not let me forget the times I lost my way, or allow me even one glimpse at a map if and when I lose it again.
Do not let me forget that I haven't forgotten.
Do not let me forget that I know which path to take.

Do not let me forget the simple pleasures of sitting on a log in the woods, of looking up at the stars, of being obnoxious just because I can, of just being.
Do not let me forget those bridges I set on fire, those I repaired, those I built out of thin air.
Do not let me forget my first love, my first heartbreak, my first word.
Do not let me forget hurtling down the interstate during a thunderstorm with the windows rolled down.
Do not let me forget screaming with my friend at the single bolt of lightning that pierced the sky in front of us, at the rain and music which drenched our bodies and souls, at the 70 miles per hour wind that gusted in through the open windows and threatened to blow us away, at the pure feeling of life that shocked both of us to the core in that split second.

Do not let me forget my mistakes, or, more importantly, what I've learned from them.
Do not let me forget that fruitless era of unrequited love, the disappointment of a friendship that just couldn't continue in order for time to stop standing still, the significance of each second we've been given to live.
Do not let me forget my truest friend, our laughter, our tears, our faith in the world and in each other, the unconditional love with which we've never faltered, and never will.

Do not let me forget all the lies I've told.
Do not let me forget the refreshing brutality of honesty that was long overdue, yet arrived just when I needed it the most.

Do not let me forget the days I convinced myself I could fly if I kept trying with all of my heart.
Do not let me forget my family, my home, my heart, whether broken or whole.
Do not let me forget each day that brought me to this moment.
Do not let me forget my soul.

Do not let me forget that it's meant to be free.

Do not let me forget that I have yet to grow old.

No comments:

Post a Comment